Monday, June 20, 2011

You have to start somewhere

We've all been there--at the very beginning.  The beginning of a not-so-fun task.  The beginning of a new adventure.  The birth of a dream.  The birth of a child.  All of them can seem overwhelming.  We usually don't feel as prepared as we would like.  But you just have to start somewhere.  My little gardening adventure was much like that--I just started.  Four tomato plants in 5-gallon buckets.  Four cucumber plants where the grass used to be.  Some dill, some basil, and a few peppers.  All of a sudden, I was a "gardener."  I didn't feel like one.  I had no idea what I was doing, but I was doing something!  I looked like a gardener on the outside, especially to people who didn't know a cucumber from a cabbage.  But I knew the truth--I had no idea what I was doing!  Wasn't it the same when I started my first job?  When I got married?  When I had my first baby? I looked like an accountant, a wife, a mother, but I had no idea how to do any of it.  (Except, of course, what I had read in books!!)

I was a CPA for 9 years.  I've been married for ten.  I now have three kids and have been doing the mommy-thing for almost six year.  It all started with a first day.  And four years later after that first tiny little garden (that became even smaller with a June snow two weeks after we planted!) I'm gardening almost 1200 sq feet of space.  There is much I still don't know, but I'm still learning and still doing.  We can't learn anything but just sitting around.  We have to start somewhere!

We started small....current pictures to follow soon!
Sweet Girl eats candy while mama plants cucumbers 4 years ago.

4 comments:

  1. 1200 sq ft??! That's bigger than my house! =] Miss you & look forward to more glimpses into your now-a-days life =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am new to the gardening thing too but on a much smaller scale than your! But, like you said, you have to start somewhere. I am excited to see how things progress with you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly love how you said 48 states!! You think most people will catch it and realizes that there are 2 Commonwealth's in the US? I've been gardening for a bit now, if I can help in anyway I'm here!

    ReplyDelete