Monday, June 27, 2011

Growing Old Friends

My mom has a garden flag that says "It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends."  It's the truth, isn't it?  In our world of instant everything, wouldn't it be great to have instant friends?  On a rare occasion we may find a kindred spirit, one of those people who thinks like you, parents like you, loves their husband, loves their home.  Even when we find such a soul, the friendship with that person still must be built as joys and sorrows are shared. It may take years.  The absence of these types of friends can seem almost overwhelming at times.

Right now I have the joy and privilege of sharing a week of my life with one of my dearest friends.  She and her five kiddos are making their way around the country visiting friends as their husband/papa is serving a 13 month tour in Afghanistan.  Their visit is like water to a thirsty woman. In the midst of conversations that last for hours on end (after children and interruptions are down for the night!), I can't help but question how to build this type of friendship with the women who share a ZIP code with me.

Just as plants need nutrients, sun, water, and the right temperature to grow, our relationships need love, attention, compassion, forgiveness, and most of all, time to grow.  Sometimes the wait can seem more than we can bear when we desire companions to walk along side us and live life with us.  But we have to commit ourselves to investing in the lives of those around us.  We never know when that relationship will bloom into something absolutely beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. I so wish we lived closer! Miss you and your friend with 5 kiddos lots!! Give her a BIG hug for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that I lived closer too! I desire those types of relationships as well but maybe in another season in my life. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete