Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My backyard

In efforts to expand our food production, we did major renovations to the backyard this spring.  I couldn't find a picture of the backyard with the huge lilacs along the back fence.  You'll have to use your imaginations!  The entire back third of our yard was covered by the shade of the massive bush-tres. Here is a picture just after the lilacs were cut and before the garden plots were created:

Sometimes a lady will do some crazy things to grow green things!  My dear sweet mountain man cut down three 14' lilacs, moved a 8' x 10' sandbox, moved five existing raised beds, and cross fenced the yard.  He loves me.  A lot.  Here is what the garden looked like last week:

This is the left side of garden.  We have raised beds along the outside edges of the garden with open planting space in the middle of the garden.

This is the right side of the garden with raised beds on the outside edges.  The green tubes are Walls 'o Water for my tomatoes.  I will have a post about these soon!

This is an up-close picture of the left side of the garden planted in the Square Foot method.  Pictures of raised beds to follow soon!

2 comments:

  1. You're so organized! I have veggies sporadically planted throughout my yard because we haven't had the chance to focus on making a specific spot. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of the wall of waters- is this your first year using them? Have you seen marked results? Can you use any other veggie (peppers maybe?)? =]

    ReplyDelete