Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The carnage

I took some pictures last night of the damage by the birds.  I read that birds are scared of shining metals and that aluminum foil can help to deter them.  You'll see some pieces I've patched around the raised beds.  There was no damage to the new lettuce heads that I transplanted yesterday, but I may put foil around those, too, just to keep them safe.  There is so much damage, it is hard to tell if the birds had breakfast in my garden.  I suppose if the swiss chard completely disappears that I'll have to try another remedy!

I've also read that moth balls keep birds and squirrels at bay, but they are toxic to kids and animals.  Not something you want floating around in an almost organic garden! (Miracle Grow is my one non-organic addition!) I've thought of putting a pint canning jar halfway down into the soil and then putting the moth ball in the canning jar.  It would keep the moth ball from melting into my soil and poisoning the food but the smell would keep the critters away.  Anyone have thoughts?  Do you have a proven method of keeping birds and squirrels out of your garden?  It's the blessing of living in a concrete jungle that I don't have bunnies to deal with, too!!


Poor little swiss chard.  My sweet girl planted these and was NOT happy with the birds!

See the chunks out of the upper leaf?
My attempts to scare away the birds.  Not exactly a Better Homes and Gardens shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment